Wednesday, November 5, 2014

One of the most important things for a homesteader is reliable transportation.  Especially, Lady Homesteaders.  I had a very wise uncle who cautioned me as a single woman, to always always, ALWAYS, have a spare car in running order.  This proved necessary recently when a neighbors dog ran into my car and bounced my car in the ditch.  3 1/2 weeks later, tonight I bring my car home.
The other caution, ladies, is always drive the car with a member from the repair shop before you agree to take it home.  It does happen that, as in my case, something gets overlooked...and forgotten.  If you forget to check and take that test drive, anything forgotten is now for you to fix.  I made the shop advisor go with me Monday, only to find out no one had checked the front right tire assembly.  Two mechanics had worked on other parts of the repair and each thought the other had looked at it.  So one more night in the shop and  it came home fixed with no more expense to me than the original $5000 repair estimate.  Know what noses your car does and doesn't make, know how it handles, and make sure the test drive before you take that car home is at a variety of road speeds, including highway speeds.  Your car carries a very important cargo-YOU! You want to be sure after repairs are made that you have a safe and drivable vehicle.
Also, know your insurance....what does it cover!  I have rental coverage for when the vehicle is in the shop after a wreck.  This can be handy if you only have the one car, and need to be able to get into a daily job off the homestead.  Ladies, be informed, and insist they explain until you understand.
From wrecked to drivable ....very important!

No comments:

Post a Comment