Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Good morning from Silver Moon Homestead!
     Here on the homestead an artic blast is blowing in, with temperatures blasting down into the teens for overnight lows, and highs only in the 20's.  My first real winter in 15 years.  I am busy this morning, making sure enough wood is brought in or on the porch for easy access.  I have a pot of beef stew in the crockpot, and plan on baking later today.
If you have animals ( I am adding those in the spring) make sure you have added a heater to the water troughs, adding straw to the floor of the chicken coop, and make sure the animals have access to warm shelter, out of the wind.
   Over Christmas, I traveled, and made sure to visit family and friends both coming and going.  After all of the visiting, however, I was very glad to get home to the quiet of my cabin.  There is a new member here on the homestead.  A cat has adopted me.  She is a rescue, coming out of a home that was severely overpopulated and consequently this cat was given up because she hissed, and offered to bite.  There apparently werre several small children in the home, and this cat is very shy.  She hid for the first week, but has developed into a very loving kitty that loves to play, yet will come when called, and is willing to cuddle in the evenings.  Though when I go to bed, she definitely does not! LOL.  I slightly changed her original name, BooBoo to just Boo...since she still races to hide when someone visits, or knocks on the door.
    This has been an interesting first half of the year on my homestead.  I look forward to getting through winter, into spring and my first spring garden. Remember last summer, I was too late to plant much.  I am working on finding regional heirloom varieties to grow.  I hope you will continue to visit this blog, and even give input where you can.  My prayer is for a wonderful blessed new year for you and your families!  See you next year!

3 comments:

  1. Glad all is well. My kitty died. So maybe my kitty came to keep you company. Sounds like you are doing well.I'm glad. I have had bronchitis for about a wk. Got shot in booty.helping. stay warm. Love ya friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get better, Karin! Sorry to hear your kitty died. Have a Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete