Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Wet feet and gardening

What a return trip from Michigan!  Apparently while I was away, the middle Midwest was inundated with rain.  I plotted my trip, and set off towards home...normally only a 17 hour trip (ex truck driver-17 hours is a short trip).  The rain had flooded areas, and it had closed major parts of my route.  The problem with enjoying XM radio, and a GPS is they don't tell you ahead of time that parts of your road are closed.  In the old days of FM radio, yes you had to keep searching for a new station, but you always had the local stations which gave you local information-road closures and weather.  The trip home ended up being a 20 hour ordeal.  The rain also caused havoc with my internet signal, the last two hours I had none, which meant no GPS!  I found several back roads in Oklahoma I did not know existed.  ;-)  Even with a slightly flooded road in front of the house, and a slip and slide up the drive, I was never so glad to see home! 

Gardening is my life at this point.  Every morning before it gets too hot, I am up and out digging up long overgrown parts to become more garden space.  I had worried that I was not seeing earthworms I dug. Earthworms tell me my soil is not totally dead. Finally I hit a section today that was chock full of earthworms.  I scooped up a handful, and placed them in the middle of the garden where I had earlier cultivated so the soil is nice and loose.  They quickly disappeared into the soil, and I hope they are happy there. 
 

While I was gone there was some bug damage.  One of the old-timers in my area tells me I waited too long to get a good garden this year and will be fighting bugs and bug damage all summer now.  That may be true, but those bugs don't know I am a quality opponent! 


No comments:

Post a Comment